U6 Drummoyne Power vs Moore Park Tigers

Welcome to the match of the round, live from the home of football, the D.C.G. as the “D’s” (Drummoyne) took on the Tigers.

It was a chilly morning, the first Saturday game to kick off winter 2017. The crowds were out in full force to witness a cracker of a home game between the Drummoyne Power and the Moore Park Tigers.

With a quick warm up and time with coach Lucas to finalise team tactics, the boys were ready to take on the opposition. They excitedly ran through the banner whilst trumpeting the team song and took up their positions in time for the start siren.

First Quarter

The first quarter commenced with a flurry of goals and behinds for the Power. The first goal came off a great game play; Jeremy ran up the middle making a nice hand ball to Sebastian who quickly passed it to his forward, Oscar who snatched a goal within the first minute of the game. Our boys were able to get away multiple shots on goal with approximately half being major scores.

Our backs were kept quiet but once the ball came down their end, Archie R and Alfie were able to knock the ball up the field again. This time, Oscar kicked it down field and the mark was taken by Archie J who then scored again for the Powers. Their fast running game and fair sharing of the ball saw the Powers dominate the first quarter. The quarter ended with an opposition kick being smothered by a wall of Power defenders.

Second Quarter

The second quarter was an even contest. Goals were aplenty for both sides with the ball moving up and down the field more times than in a game of basketball.

Perhaps keen to warm up their cold bodies and get moving after the first term break, the Tigers made a premature start, slotting a goal almost before the opening siren. Caught off guard, our boys surrendered a second goal in quick succession as the Tigers sought to steal the momentum.

However, from the next bounce off, Hunter punched the ball far enough for Archie R to swoop it up nicely. He quickly disposed it to Jeremy who ran a good 15 metres, dodging his opponents to handball it to Sebastian to score a goal. James was awarded the player of the game for his outstanding dominance in this quarter scoring several goals.

With 2 seconds remaining on the clock, a Tigers player kicked a long range goal with the ball bouncing sideways to fall over the line as the siren sounded, to set the game up for the final quarter.

Third Quarter

The third quarter saw the Tigers fight back but somehow we were able to keep them at bay with goals from Jeremy, James, Archie J and a whopping 20 metre goal from Alfie. With Archie R and Hunter defending and playing strongly around the ruck, we were able to keep the game even.

The boys played as a team and it was so exciting to see their good sportsmanship. They deserve a well earned week off next week in order that they be fully recharged for our next game in two weeks’ time. Well done boys!!